20091019

First Stage: Slim Pickings to Sin City

It was an uneventful trip in the nice car to Heathrow, chatting with some ex-copper about the state of the world. Then I went through a swift check-in process and boarded the United Airlines plane, a great big transatlantic one. I had to get my laptops out, belt off, shoes off, jacket off for the customs search but there was lots of time to recover my wits and garments.

On the plane I was stuck between two other fellows but I'm not much of a twitcher, so I found that I was OK for most of the flight. I watched the in flight movies "Night in the Museum 2" - which could be called 'Night in Ad Nauseam' ( you see what I did there?), lots of the usual faces doing Ben Stiller impressions so I was dropping off for that one. However, there was also more than enough time for "Moon" - which was awesome, very cool sci-fi.

I really felt for a character far from home and stuck in a tin can. I felt I was on a big coach trip until I glanced out the window and realised I was 34,000 feet up.

Landed in Dulles, Washington DC ( which looks very nice indeed, all green countryside and similar temperatures ) and had to go through the scary customs, where they take your mug shot and fingerprints. The desire to be naughty and cheeky, or just plain running around crazy, was quite strong (How far could I get if I just ran like a bastard through the customs line? How many times would they ask me to retake my photo if I pulled a joey face at the last minute? ).

Finally landed in Las Vegas after a final long dull journey, watched a program about the Stone of Scone, drifted in and out of snoozes. Then after gathering the bags, I bought a ticket on the shuttle. It is only at this point, driving into the heart of Sin City, that I understand I am in America. I haven't made contact with JAB or anyone else but I have had a whole load of stuff delivered to my room for the conference.



The hotel room is awesome and I have just about set myself up. I made sure I have internet and that I have coffee making facilities ( a tiny percolator ) - so I am about to have a coffee and some lovely home made biscuits, then a shower and shave. Whereabouts I may feel normal - how decidedly British of me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home