20110604

Don Quixote vs the Dictatorship of Po Mo Cyn

For too long there has been a dictatorship that has towered over the modern, Western lifestyle. A force that is offers the easy way forward without offering any solution. It says that it has all been done before, nothing is new, all solutions lead to the same conclusion, that time is circular and all your hopes for better are mired in the inevitable outcome.

This is the terrible weighted voice of that horrendous dictatorship of Po Mo Cyn. His message has seeped into all forms of creativity and creative response, his thoughts have pervaded every media channel. It is the very essence of negative apathy. Post Modern Cynicism is everywhere and insidious but it must come to an end.

The irony is that under the control of Po Mo Cyn there can never be a revolution, all force is met with an equal and opposite nullifying effect. For every good deed and bright spark there are a thousand snarking retorts waiting, a thousand skulking comments in the forums, a thousand jibes and jokes made for their own sake. It is time for this to end, and the only way to overthrow such apathy and cynicism is to ignore it and keep going.


Britain’s Got F%&! All - if it hasn’t got integrity.

By way of example Britain’s Got Talent pushes new boundaries in self serving, controlled media, designed and delivered for maximum acceptance and manipulation, yet it continues to make a fortune and top the ratings. Despite all the scorn I can pore upon it I too find myself drawn into the ‘entertainment’ of it. I despise that part of myself that chuckles at the antics of Ant and Dec, or feels good when some poor fool is given an inkling of a chance because even as I laugh along with it I am aware it is fundamentally fixed, corrupt and managed – but I still do nothing. Po Mo Cyn is at work here, not in the corruption I watch and willingly consume but in my indifference to it.


The Invisible Revolution

To drive Po Mo Cyn to a bunker ridden starvation there needs to be a revolution in thinking and the time for that must surely be now. We must begin by look for him and recognising that this frame of mind is everywhere. Then we must consistently resist, overthrow and revolt.

I was walking through the town and passed a sign outside a pub that read "What is the meaning of life? QUIZ NIGHT!" and I felt it to be a profound statement.

Was that the answer, just a quiz night? A series of repeating, random and meaningless questions? Or was a pair of disparate phrases simply thrown together?

After pondering this on my walk I had a great upsight and I realised two things. The first was that only my mind was responsible for the association, it did not necessarily exist for anyone else. The second was that such an attitude was not necessarily a good thing. I realised it was not good enough to make some pithy remark and walk on, I had to change my state of mind in order to create change. Far too often my mind will speak without considering the inherent negativity or destructive sourness. This is the work of Po Mo Cyn!

My boy sang 'Old McDonald Had a Farm' and my immediate reaction was to add 'and on that farm he had e-Coli'. Here again this is the work of Po Mo Cyn!

All of these thoughts remind me of Don Quixote; not just the literary work but my personal relationship with the work. Every time I come back to that story I feel it is my tale being recounted.

     Comte De Guiche: Sir, have you read Don Quixote?
     Cyrano De Bergerac: I've practically lived it!

All that we consume seems oppressive and fills me with indignation. I ponder, how do we make a better world when cynicism, apathy and pastiche bring profit and originality and creativity none at all. Where fraud, deceit and malice are mingled with truth and sincerity.

Don Quixote's battles are the same as ours in this age. Where Don Quixote had his nemesis in the Great Enchanter we must battle Po Mo Cyn; whose thoughts are cold, whose soul is shrivelled, whose eyes are machines and where he walks the earth is blighted.

In order to fight this monstrous giant of infamous repute we must become knight-errants of the media age. We must go about actively to praise the creative and joyful, to find and uphold the new and courageous.

Listen to this boy, he is battling Po Mo Cyn and this is his battle cry.



This is the same as Don Quixote's call to arms.

     "Hear me now
     Oh, thou bleak and unbearable world
     Thou art base and debauched as can be.
     And the knight with his banners all bravely unfurled
     Now hurls down his gauntlet to thee."

These ideas lift me up. It is time to hurl down a gauntlet to apathetic thinking, to the quick response that diminishes rather than uplifts. This is the time to reject the quick fix of instant gratification and pre-chewed entertainment.

Bring down Po Mo Cyn where ever his presence is seen.
It is never too late.
It has not all been done.
There is positivity in the world.
There is a solution that can be achieved.
"You can do it. Thumbs up everybody, Rock and Roll!"

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home