20101130

I am your father, join me...

... and we will watch YouTube together!

My boy Tally and I do a lot of YouTube video watching. I wondered if it was actually a formative core memory for things we do together. Obviously the kind of things we watch revolve around children's films and TV that Tal is into but I have also subverted him along the way by opening his eyes to all sorts of wonders. He too has a habit of asking for a random idea, convinced it exists in singing/music form. He asked for Donkey Kong the other day. I dutifully found it and he was not impressed. Then he also has a habit of lunging at the screen with a pointing finger and shouts "That one!" - again a random way to see new things.



YouTube has also turned Tally on to My Chemical Romance's Danger Days album in a big way. I have commented previously on the vicarious joy of sharing a rock album with him, with me and my aging jaded, lost youth, perspective and he with his full on innocent abandon to the sounds and settings MCR created.

I include here a Playlist of tracks I thought had inspired the Danger Days album, for me it comes across as a Diamond Dogs for the new millennium.



I thought I liked MCR before but then I discovered some key facts that have blown me away. mainly that the lead singer Gerard Way has also worked for Vertigo comics and wrote The Umbrella Academy. Then I find that Korse, the villain in the Killjoy universe, is played by Grant MORRISON! Grant FRAKKIN MORRISON!



The album is very enjoyable for me, though I am still aware it may be beyond my ability to participate. Similarly, Tally is too young to join in.

Another request from Tal came in the form of "Let's watch Star Wars.", obviously I would love to show him Star Wars. I was aware though that it will never have the impact that it had on my generation. There is so much more around these days that will supplant it and you can never un-see things that have come along since. Even the Killjoys of MCR are probably having a greater impact on his future than Star Wars ever can.

His interest came about because Mr Lucas sold the last few dregs of soul and pimped his robo-biatches, Artoo and Threepeeo, to the advertising industry. Tal has seen the ads and wanted to see them in film. We got as far as Luke having a whine before he wanted to do something else, not that I mind, of course. He can have his own choices and discover things in his own time. I wonder if it is the equivalent of my Granddad showing me westerns or WW2 films with a similar enthusiasm? I hope I get to share a whole load of stuff with him before adolescence sets in.

MCR are live with the Killjoy tour in December of 2011 and I find myself wishing we could do stuff like that. I can't wait to show him so many wonderful things. Comics, films, animations, music, instruments, camping, gigs, museums, cinema, D&D, computer games, board games, coding, writing, reading, etc. In the meantime I look forward to YouTube, Toy Story and Wallace and Gromit... oh and tickling.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home